Thursday, January 26, 2012

By the Numbers

Scale numbers can be deceiving and frustrating.  A strange eating day the day before a weigh-in can make me feel like I'm off track.  I've read all sorts of articles and blogs about how to deal with your weight -- mostly around how to see it differently.  John constantly reminds me that if I am gaining muscle from working out, I might not lose weight, and that I need to look at more numbers than just the weight number to understand what's going on.

This is why one of my goals is about body fat percentage, rather than about weight loss.

Every Thursday is weigh-in day.  Sometimes I check my weight through the week, just to have a sense of what's going on, but I only write it down on Thursday.  And if I am somewhere that I can't weigh in on my scale at home -- at Leadership Academy, in Hawaii, at my parents' house -- then I don't weigh in and I don't worry about.

Today is Thursday, which I was approaching with a mixture of dread and excitement.  This week has been a little odd in terms of the nutrition because of two lunches out and not feeling I nailed this week right in terms of food distributions.  But, still, it's 5:50 AM and I stepped on the scale.

I gained a pound.  BUT, my body fat weight went up only by 0.1 pound.  My body fat percentage decreased by 1.1%.  My body water was up 0.1%.  Interesting.  So after another week of P90X2, I have gained some muscle (hard to tell how much really, since my body water also increased).  (We have a Weight Watchers Scale from Target that shows all these numbers -- it was one of the best investments! )

So John was right.  And besides that, I feel excellent, which is more than just a nice bonus.  

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you did gain muscle... I wouldn't stress over the .1 or 1 lb fluctuations too much. And if you feel excellent, then it must be working. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! All of this is so motivating!!!

    I rarely weigh myself on a scale and I guess one of the perks of having a husband that is a trainer is that I can have my measurements and body fat taken at any time. I always weigh myself on the same scale (at the gym) and I only do it once a week, if I am being consistent, but I only do measurements and body fat once a month. I actually realized the most success after I fell off my workout regimen. I think my body was just constantly adjusting to everything I was doing for the whole 2 months I was working out and then as soon as I stopped, it showed me the reward. Bitch.

    ReplyDelete