Thursday, January 12, 2012

In the beginning...

I'm not out of shape by any means -- I lift weights, run half and full marathons (as well as run around the neighborhood with Falkor, the dog), take yoga and spin classes, hike occasionally... you get the idea.  But, I was unsatisfied with my results.  I would go a few weeks or months eating right and exercising, but then one crazy weekend and my nutrition was out the window ("Yes, I will have those french fries," "That beer sounds delicious").  Plus, I was getting bored at the gym lifting weights.  I always had a goal to do a particular workout routine for 12 weeks, but I would stop after 8 or 9 weeks.  There's only so many bicep curls a woman can do before she wants to throw the weight at the gym mirror.

I needed a change -- in exercise and nutrition.  Although I love to cook, it wasn't a high priority between PhD classes, dissertation writing and researching, hanging out with John (my fantastic and fun husband), seeing friends, working out, etc.  I cooked well for guests.  I did the bare minimum for me. 

So, our friend, Jess, works for BeachBody and told us that a new P90X was coming out.  We pre-ordered it as a joint Christmas present.  We cancelled our gym membership.  I figured I'd do the program with all the nutrition and the workouts as they were intended.  I've decided to give up sweets, alcohol, and caffeine -- ALL AT ONCE (Good idea or not?  Time will tell).

Knowing me, and knowing that life is sometimes unpredictable, I gave myself 5 cheats.  If something comes up, and I have to/need to/want to cheat, so be it... but only 5 times (I mean, really, sometimes you can't say no to that chocolate chip cookie or exquisite glass of Pinot Noir).   It means I have to choose wisely.

I have the following goals for this program
  1. Follow nutrition plan as described in the P90X2 materials (minus the 5 cheats)
  2. Be able to do 1 pull-up by the end of the program 
  3. Get a 4 pack before summer 2012 
  4. Reduce my body fat to 20%
All that said, and in the spirit of full disclosure, here are some of my before photos (taken 1/12/12).

There I am, in a sports bra.  

See, not totally out of shape, but goodness, I'd like to be firmer! 

And here are my stats from 1/12/12:
Weight: 134.1
Body Fat Percentage: 24.1
BMI: 21.8
Chest: 34"
Bicep: (r) 10.75", (l) 10.5"
Waist: 27"
Hips: 35"
Thigh: (r) 22.5, (l) 22.75

Here we go.

1 comment:

  1. Kenna, you are awesome! I can't WAIT to see your results. If anyone can do it, it's you (and John)! Is he going to share in the blogging, too? ;)

    I'm going to tweet your link, so that others can read about your experience.

    ReplyDelete