Friday, January 20, 2012

Namaste

I've heard that the P90X yoga workout was the hardest one.  I was expecting some of the hardest yoga moves I've ever seen.  I was expecting to modify a lot and have to do my typical pause and rewind.

All those years of semi-regular yoga practice actually helped.  Sun Salutation, Chair Pose, Warriors 1, 2, and 3, Half Moon... okay, I'm still working on Warrior 3 and Half Moon.  Those one-legged balance poses kill my hips.  But then I love the pain of Runner's Lunge and Pigeon.

Over the past few years I've been working on Crane -- another balance pose in which you put your knees on the outsides of your triceps and balance on your hands with your feet off the floor.  I can do it for maybe 2 seconds at a time.  It's an adrenaline rush to get those seconds.  

One of my favorite exercises, even though it is super hard, is a Warrior 1 flow sequence in which you do 1, 2, and 3 Warrior 1 poses on each side with a vinyasa (Cobra, Up Dog, Down Dog) in between.  So, you do 1 Warrior 1 pose one each side, then a vinyasa, then 2 Warrior 1 poses on each side, then a vinyasa, then 3 Warrior 1 poses on each side, then a vinyasa.  OH MY GOSH.  That's pretty much when my heart rate peaked.

Perhaps the best part about the workout are the Warrior 2 Lunges, in which you stay in the Warrior 2 position while you lower your front hand to the ground and lower your body... 5 times on each side.  SO HARD.  But, amazing.

Then, the shortest Shavansana on record, and Tony Horton talks practically the whole time.  BUT, I sat up, had my one "om" and opened my eyes to this cute face.

Namaste, Falkor, Namaste.  

Calories Burned = 455
Average Heart Rate = 109
Peak Heart Rate = 157

No comments:

Post a Comment