Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Week 3 Begins

And here's what I don't understand -- how can I be burning less calories?  I'm doing more reps, getting better at the exercises, and yet, each week, the number of calories I burn is decreasing.  For instance, two weeks ago, I burned 727 calories doing X2 Core, last week is was 607, and this week it's 523.  John says I should stop worrying because I'm burning a fair number of calories in each workout, but I just don't get it.

I also recognize that my average heart rate during these exercises is also decreasing -- from 147, to 134, to 126.  Could these be related? ;)

Maybe it's a combination of things -- losing weight, becoming familiar with the exercises, becoming more efficient in doing the exercises.  What do you think?

In the end, it's not the calories burned, it's how I see them.  I have this desire to burn MORE calories with each workout, and in order to do that, I have to do more reps, and do them better each time.  So, the goal changes a little depending on the perspective.

Calories Burned = 523
Average Heart Rate = 126
Peak Heart Rate = 175

P.S. There's a new page called "Lessons" (do you see it up there at the top?) where I'm noting the things I am already considering doing differently the next time I do this workout.  It's nice to think about the next time... although at 3 weeks in, perhaps this is still the honeymoon phase. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Theory: as your body gets used to exercise (and you waste less energy figuring out what the video does next), it will burn fewer calories, thought that's a pretty rapid drop. I don't think it will drop too much after this. Or maybe your counter is breaking from all the awesomeness. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely got to be the awesomeness, Julie! :)

    ReplyDelete